Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Sad Story of the Girl Without a Dog


We left Coinjock around 7:15 and enjoyed a lazy transit, recalling our adventures here in prior years, our first in particular. That year, on the first day of our ICW voyage, we happened across a surprise hurricane, Noel, I think, and were unable to find dockage. We created an anchorage by the Pungo Ferry Bridge near the Pungo Marina, where we enjoyed our first cruiser pot luck after the hurricane passed, doing nothing more than driving the water out of the anchorage and forcing a delayed departure. Lots of memories and great fun. This is what cruising is all about, Donna!


Today we had an easy day, taking in the birds flying by, a soaring eagle, no it’s an osprey, no, it’s a great blue.
Here comes a barge around the corner, thankfully we were paying attention, and there’s plenty of room. Only two bridges today with little traffic, but the bridge tenders continue to insist that we “bring it on up or you will miss the opening”. I take their picture, and get a thumbs up. I suppose they are not so bad after all. Now that I notice the TV antenna I wonder if that contributes to the often delayed openings, as they finish their soaps.


We get to Great Bridge and go on through and find space for free docking over night, managing to leave enough space with a little juggling for Veranda, who we hope will make the next bridge and get this spot. I need some Tucker Time.


With an invitation for dinner aboard Veranda, I get the opportunity to get a little closer to their pup. Most people know my canine deprivation, the cause of every disorder and bad day I ever have, but the captain will not relent. No dog for Lynn, boo hoo. And why is it that as of late Peter seems to get all the attention from man’s best friend despite the fact that most poochs know me as The Donut Lady.

As hard as I try, Tucker seems to prefer Peter. I rub his tummy. He loves it, then turns to Peter. I give him a carrot, he loves it, then turns to Peter. It's time to leave, he rushs to say goodbye to Peter. I seem to have lost my touch.

We had a lovely evening with Mr. and Mrs. Magnifico, debating the merits of the various samples of decking we dragged over to their boat to ponder. After a considered debate, I'm now leaning towards Silver Oak, which is also's Bill's favorite. Coincidentally, this is the name of my favorite wine, with that choice shared with the Wise One, perhaps our friend Michael, and my girlfriend Bet. So I think we should go with that decking for that reason.

1 comment:

S/V Veranda said...

Tucker knows you're hooked. Hes working harder on Peter. Tucker said that when the house is finished he'll consider a visit.....:)