Monday, February 7, 2011

Coco Bay and Hog Cay


As planned, with the winds settling down and moving to the east, we said a temporary good-bye to The Group and hauled anchor to sail south with our old friends on Celebrian. For the last three years we have sailed a good part of each winter with Rob and Christine, so we were happy to reconnect and catch up on our exploits over the off-season when they return home to their cottage on Lake Huron. As Celebrian approached South Side, we joined up with them for a short ride to Coco Bay, which is uncharted for the most part. Fortunately, it was a sunny day so the coral heads and a vast reef were obvious. We nestled fairly close up to the beach and dinghied ashore for some mutual affection.

We had a good walk along the beach, with little traffic coming this way we had hoped for some good sea treasures. Of course, Rob and Christine found most of them, snagging a beautiful hawk wing conch and other goodies. We at least had good exercise and conversation but failed to find a trail to the east side near Lovers Leap, where Kim from Fine Lion told me I would find gobs of sea glass. An adventure for another day.

The following morning we awoke to the rolling seas we had experienced for a good part of the night and decided to abandon Coco and head to Hog Cay. Hog is the epicenter of activity for cruisers in the Jumentos, and no sooner had we had the anchor down than Bill from Veranda approached bearing gifts for my collections--- sea glass for my chandelier, in the design stage, shells for my craft project, a tellin-bordered mirror, and sand dollars for my Christmas tree. What a treasure trove!


Here in the Jumentos heart beans lay all over the place. No one even bothers to bend over to collect them. I, being an addict, cannot help myself and gathered a pile which I plan to sift through, keeping the really good ones for Willow to share next Valentine’s Day with her classmates, and dumping the others in the waters of the Abacos where so many first-timer cruisers go. I remember how thrilled I was to be given my first bean, and I have tried to continue the tradition when I am travelling with newcomers. Maybe some of this bag full will find their way to somebody starting their collection.


Hog is a great place to be for any east component wind. We anchored in the Southern most anchorage, and were very comfortable in 18 knots of wind. You can get closer to shore for less fetch in the Northern Hog anchorage, where the waters seemed flat as a pancake despite the hefty breezes. There are several trails, leading to the ocean where heart beans are a dime a dozen, and a long, long walk on a trail that will remain unidentified will, at low tide, uncover mounds of sea glass. I hope one of these days to time it right.

No comments: