Friday, April 30, 2010

Vero Beach to St. Augustine


We spent a week at Aunt Dar’s house and enjoyed meeting with family and spending some time on land. On our return to Vero, we were invited for dinner at Jay and Di’s lovely new townhome and cracked open a 94 Silver Oak Napa. Ah, that one glass of wine a night should always be this good! The night sounds of the whippoorwill and hoot owl were especially mellow on this evening at the anchorage.

We decided to stay one more day to put everything away that we had moved from Dar’s, purchased, or received in the mail, and in the late afternoon, looked up to see Emotion 3 driving by. Carole and Michel joined us for cocktails and delivered a good chunk of swordfish that Michel had caught. These guys are what make cruising so much fun, even when no fish is involved.

We just anchored at St. Augustine, following a 31 hour trip from Vero. On our departure from the Vero mooring field, we were graced with a lone dolphin leading the way out, which I always take as a good omen for a safe trip. Coming down the Ft. Pierce inlet, we marveled at these two dogs going fishing, complete with sealegs. I need my own.

Inspired by Michel, Peter dragged the fishing lines and had four hits and one catch, a Little Tunny. Tonight we will do these on the grill, although the fish catcher is not anxious for the gastronomic opportunity!
Along the way we saw a four foot turtle paddling like there would be no tomorrow and various cruise ships exiting from Cape Canaveral. Peter spoke with one Captain to be sure he saw us, he did, and altered course to make us feel more comfortable. Passing Cape Canaveral at night is one scary mission. There are about 50 million strobe lights along the shore and several unlit buoys marking the security zone, and tonight, four very strong light beams emitting into the sky. While I am sure it is very cool to be here during a launching, it is not otherwise.

Once again it appeared we would have a wonderful sailing adventure but the 20 knots of wind took a turn directly behind us. For most of the night, the main sail slapping and the boom slamming (despite the preventer) sounded like a garbage truck lifting and dropping a dumpster, repeatedly, so sleep was fitful. During the 1 am watch change we both noticed that the refrigeration had stopped working, not a welcomed situation ever, let alone at this hour of the night and with boisterous seas slapping us around. We decided to just ignore it.

No comments: