Thursday, December 17, 2009

Let's Hear it for the Chinese Hamsters!


In 1948, at least two momentous events occurred, as far as my life is concerned. One, I entered the world, and two, Chinese hamsters were imported into the US. These little creatures have volunteered their ovaries so that my latest medication can be made. Using recombinant DNA technology, some wonderful laboratory nerd messin' with the hamsters developed Enbrel, known as a biologic, to treat moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. The cost for a 90 day supply of this drug greatly exceeds my entire college tuition (back in the day), so I am thankful for my retirement package which included healthcare benefits.

We had a fruitful visit to Dr. Kramer, who dished up the prescription for Enbrel, and sent us off not to return for 60 days. So, when weather permits and my new medication arrives, we head for the Bahamas.

Once again, thank you hamsters and the National Bank of Canada.

No comments: