Friday, April 3, 2009
We left Luperon on March 17 in the early morning, meeting ugly rolling seas on our departure from the harbor. By mid day the seas had settled and the winds had turned to the ENE at 9-14 knots, perfect for sailing. By 1 pm the next day we were at anchor at Great Inagua in the southeast Bahamas. A US coast guard plane buzzed us twice as we approached, as they added our photo to their collection of possible terrorists or druggies.
Peter and Rob dinghied ashore with the intention of checking in. Oh no, says the customs guy who does not appear to have any interest in us, you must bring your boat into the government basin, which is approximately the size of a small closet with concrete walls which are unprotected . He insisted that unless we move the boat into the concrete closet we would have to check in at the next port. So we decided to do that. The boys at least were able to pick up diesel in jerry cans at the gas station near the basin. Bottom line: don’t check in here.
We had intended to spend the night but decided to haul anchor and our butts to Acklins Island to avoid the surge here and hopefully to beat the squalls forecast by Chris Parker. So, another consecutive night at sea. We raised anchor at 5:30 and once we cleared the lee of the land found 17 knots gusting 20 on the nose. Fortunately we had reefed before departing; it was a romping ride until 2 in the morning when the winds died and the clouds began to fill in.
We reached Jamaica Bay in the Bight of Acklins by 9:30 the next morning, beating the squalls, and happily exhausted. There is a slight surge here but we are too tired to notice.